You have a Hit and Run, what do you do?

May 18, 2021

By Anne Butcher

You are in a restaurant, you come out and someone has backed into your car in the parking lot. What do you do? Do you call your insurance agent or company? Not yet. To avoid making a collision claim on your policy, follow these steps: Don't move the car and call the local police jurisdiction where the incident happened, tell them what happened and get a police report number.  Then call your insurance agent and make an "Uninsured Motorist Property Damage" claim. The deductible will be $250, but the incident will be considered "not at fault" and be surcharged considerably less than a collision claim, your only other option if you want to use your auto insurance policy to get the car fixed.  You are welcome. Questions?